Looking for two-year-old birthday party ideas? I was! Over here, we like to keep birthday parties very simple. We invite some friends and family, create a birthday theme for excitement, and celebrate with dinner and cake.
I wanted two-year-old birthday ideas that welcomed friends and family without going overboard.
Everyone gets in on the setup. We try to keep decorations to items we find in our home or something that will serve a purpose once the party is over. We decided on a space theme. It’s so simple and looks great! Get ready to blast off into space with this quick and easy two-year-old birthday party idea!
RELATED: Take a peek at our e-book to help manage and modify your daily routine.
Birthday Table Supplies
Days with Grey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
- Black butcher paper – We used this to keep the theme of space. Take off before eating to use it again!
- Paper silver and white straws – I wanted to capture the magic of space with these gorgeous straws.
- Sparkle wrapping paper – You will never guess, but we actually used sparkle gift wrap as the night sky! This fits perfectly on top of black butcher paper.
- White plates – We all need simple white plates for the kids to pile on the party food!
- Helium tank – Call me crazy, but I didn’t want to be running to the party store with three kids the day of the party! Plan and get a helium tank that you can store at home. I actually found this one was less expensive than at a party store. Use it to make your planets float!
- Honeycomb paper ball – This is super simple to use for the sun. Pop it open, and – Voila!
- Marble balloons – I use these for the planets. They are so gorgeous and a hit with the kids!
- Multi-colored balloons – I like to mix up the marble planets with other colorful balloons.
- Number two balloon – You must celebrate how old your toddler is, right?! That’s why I like to add a special birthday balloon.
Space Book Supplies
1. Good Night Galaxy
This book takes your child through the galaxy to see the planet, stars, and constellations!
2. Hello, World! Solar System
I love this book for two-year-olds because it doesn’t only introduce planets but talks about shapes and colors.
3. Nerdy Babies: Space
If your little one is alive with curiosity, then this is the one for them! It sparks imagination and lots of questions!
4. 8 Little Planets
Teach your kids all about the different planets in the night sky. I have to admit – this was good for refreshing my memory!
Constellation Snack Supplies
To make these all you need are two quick and easy ingredients!
- Mega Chocolate Chips – Share fun constellations with your children and see if they can recreate the image with chocolate chips!
- Oranges – These make great planets, plus you’re sneaking some fruit in there – Win-win!
Birthday Shirt Supplies
Two-year-old space shirt – Involve your child in fun by giving them a space t-shirt to wear during the party! I like these two great shirts for you sold at this ETSY shop. They’re great quality, and you can personalize them and pull them out of the memory box in years to come!
RELATED: You will love this moon booklist by my friend Jodi!
How to Set Up a Space Birthday Party
We went for a space party theme because it’s so easy to make, and there are countless ways to bring it to life. Check out below how we set it up for my two-year-old’s birthday party.
Step 1. Grab your Birthday Gifts.
Step 2. Make a Welcome Sign.
Every party begins with a fun welcome sign! Here, we used our Hape Rocket Ship and Accessories for the front entrance. If you do not already have one, this rocket ship makes a fun birthday gift for many ages.
Step 3. Make Some Planets.
Every space party needs planets! Remember, simple party decorations don’t have to be perfect! They just have to be fun. The fun doesn’t have to mean complicated. Create the solar system with balloons and a paper honeycomb ball for the sun. All super simple ways to add excitement to your two-year-old’s birthday party.
Here we have the sun, Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus, and Neptune. We all learned about the planets and identified the best color for each one. We even added a multicolored ribbon for Saturn’s rings.
Step 4. Decorate the Birthday Table.
I wanted to keep the table decorations simple yet still in the space theme. So I grabbed some budget-friendly items that got my creativity going!
Step 5. Put Books on the Table.
Books are a fantastic way to brighten the birthday table and have something to read for years to come. So we went for it!
Step 6. Get in Some Party Food.
We had traditional cupcakes for everyone to enjoy, and we also created this simple constellation party snack.
Step 7. Every Birthday Needs a Party Shirt.
Think about what your child can wear for many days once the party is over. Do they enjoy space? Then get something for them to remember the day!
RELATED: Want even more birthday party ideas? Follow our Birthday Party board on Pinterest.
Why I Chose a Simple Birthday Party
Birthday parties for young children can be a chance to slow down and enjoy time together. Sure, I love a good party.
In fact, before having children, parties were majorly my jam. (oh, the stories to tell.) But now that I have three children, five and under, birthday parties for a two-year-old have become pretty low-key.
Why? For one, a house of five is constantly being pulled in many directions. Sometimes, we need a good excuse to slow down, gather the most important people, and celebrate with a simple party.
Even better? Imagine a two-year-old birthday party with ZERO party favors! Yes, please! Read why celebrations are important.
RELATED: Looking for activities for two-year-olds at home? You will love this list.
Use This Great Birthday Idea
Remember! Two-year-old birthday party ideas can be kept simple! Pick a theme, keep a budget, and your toddler will have a whale of a time – Trust me.
RELATED: See our favorite list of open-ended toys here. You will see that many of the toys listed can be used for future birthday party decorations.
Need Toddler Activities?
- Glue the Colored Noodles
- How to Make a Robot Costume
- 40+ Best Activities for One-Year-Olds
- 40+ Top Toddler Activities
Activities on Demand
Want great ideas without the ads? Download these 20 hands-on learning games for kids.
Frequently Asked Questions
Celebrate your two-year-old’s birthday at home by keeping things simple. Decorate the birthday table with board books around the birthday theme. Include a themed shirt for siblings to feel included. Keep the guest list to close family and/pr friends.
Help your toddler feel special on their birthday by decorating the breakfast table with something they enjoy. This little effort will help them feel honored after waking up on their big day.
Two-year-olds typically take an afternoon nap. Think about if your child is more enthusiastic about morning or late afternoon activities. Plan the 2-year-old birthday around what works for you and your family.