Inside: 101+ best toys for 2019. Popular toys for toddler boys, toddler girls, and preschoolers. Open-ended toys that promote play, and learning toys that ignite language development, imagination, and problem-solving.
Choosing the best toy for your child can be a daunting task.
I get it.
Finding a gift your four-year-old won’t cast aside a mere ninety seconds after ripping off the wrapping paper is like finding a needle in a haystack.
As caregivers, we search to find that perfect balance between a learning toy and a toy so engaging it will keep our child entertained long enough for us to drink our coffee while it’s still steaming hot.
But how will you find that toy?
Does it even exist?
And most of all, why are toys so important to childhood?
Each year, I pay close attention to what my children have played with, and which toys got tossed aside. If there was a Days with Grey Best Toy Awards, the following toys below would be the kid-tested, educator/mom approved winners.
RELATED: Curious how I encourage play? Check out our Startup Guide to Breakfast Invitations – Simple way to start the day off with creative kids and coffee.
Almost all creativity involves purposeful play.
Play is essential in the early years.
We know that play sets the foundation for future learning.
Touching and manipulating open-ended toys now, will serve your child down the road as they begin to read in a textbook about the objects they had a chance to TOUCH in the early years.
In fact, we talk all about the importance of play HERE.
Simply put, children learn by doing.
We know this.
And so giving children a chance to play with the best toys in the early years is like a golden ticket to their future. The best toys for kids allow them to learn through their own inquiry, creativity, and problem solving. Such a true gift.
101+ unbeatable toys broken down into smart categories you can easily navigate.
- Top Open-Ended Forever Toys – This gift list contains the handpicked open-ended, hands-on toys that will inspire play. These are toys we have in our home and have used for years.
- Toys for Two-Year-Old Toddlers – Why are toddlers the most difficult to shop for? Is it because they are slowly gaining independence with their play, yet continue to have a short attention span? Perhaps. Allow me to take the stress off of finding the perfect gift. After raising three toddlers, I can tell you which toddler toys are top notch for inspiring play.
- Toys for Literacy – I want my preschoolers to be able to become familiar with the lines and curves that form a letter, along with being able to toss the letters into a sensory bin for hands-on learning. From setting up your Breakfast Invitations to Sensory play, this letter supply list is pretty versatile! Here, you will find a detailed list of letter activities from Amazon we own, trust, and love. You don’t need to own a ton. Just a few that you can use in a couple different ways!
- Essential Breakfast Invitation Must Haves – Okay, if I were stranded on an island with only 10 Breakfast Invitation supplies which ones would I bring? You don’t want to miss this!
- Ideal Toys for One-Year Olds – What do you get a baby for their first birthday or holiday? What I am looking for is something that a baby can grasp with their hands, and experiment with their thoughts. Here are my favorite gifts for one-year-olds.
- Toys under $25 – Who needs stocking stuffers that aren’t candy or another pair of gloves? After 13 years of teaching, and 5 years of parenting 3 boys, I have found great resources for your preschooler’s every day. This gift list is all under $25 and will not disappoint.
- Gifts for the Budding Artists – What are basic art supplies? What should be included in a preschool art center? Find it all here. This gift guide includes our favorite Ikea Art Cart along with what we put inside to get started.
- 13+ Prime Math Toys – Encouraging your preschooler’s love for STEM learning is a smart move. Especially since understanding math, science, technology, and engineering is almost all hands-on. Allow your budding mathematician to sore with these 13 prime math toys for preschoolers.
- Melissa and Doug Favorite Toy List – We want our children to spend less time on tablets, and more time playing. But there are some struggles that come along for the ride. How will I transition away from so much screen time? How can I encourage child-led learning? How do I get my children to stop arguing over the same toy? After spending time last year in NYC with Melissa & Doug Toys, I’ve collaborated with a group of play experts, influencers, and moms that feel overloaded to discuss ways we can take back childhood. Inside has my favorite toys from Melissa & Doug.
- Outside Play for Kids – Want to know my secret to getting kids over the late afternoon hump? It is going directly outside in-between bedtime. Rain or shine, here are our favorite ways to play in the backyard or on the go.
- 19+ Awe-Inspiring Experience Gifts for Kids – Looking to spend more time together? Us too! I searched for 9 inspiring ways to come together as a family and enjoy new experiences together. Get one of these events on your calendar today! (Post LIVE on November 13th)
- 25+ Unique Toys for Six-Year-Olds
Open-ended toys unlock thoughts, ideas, and creative thinking.
This holiday season, inspire your young learners with intentional toys.