Inside: 40+ fun winter activities for kids – These wintery ideas are broken down into four categories: outdoor snow play, winter art activities, Indoor winter play ideas, and a winter book list.
Need fun winter activities for your kids?
Me too! From outdoor snow play to indoor art ideas, here are 40 winter activities for kids.
As a parent to three small children, I often wonder how my parents put boots on wiggly feet and mittens on small hands. It can be an actual test of patience as my independent children take on these tasks.
So in between suiting up for snow play and heading inside for hot chocolate? We are all left wondering how I can entertain my kids in the winter when the days can feel so long!
How do I entertain my kids in the winter?
Here in the southeast, snow is highly unlikely. As a native northerner, I can say that although I enjoy the warmer weather, I also miss a snowy Christmas equally as much. Since I can’t have it all, I hope for one solid snow day each season.
– Is that asking for too much? Maybe.
In the meantime, we have a solid list of winter activities to test out and share with you!
Outdoor Snow Play
Hats on, scarf found. Let’s head outside for some snow play ideas that will entertain children longer than it took to get the left foot inside the boot.
- Winter Activities for Kids in the Woods – The Workspace for Children
- Snow Frozen Yogurt Melts – Here Wee Learn
- Snow Spray Painting – Mama Papa Buba
- Colored Ice Sculptures – Happy Hooligans
- Easy Outdoor Ice Rink – Mama Papa Buba
- Snow Volcano – Messy Little Monster
- Snow and Ice Experiment – Here Wee Learn
- How to Make Snow Paint – Messy Little Monster
Winter Art Activities
I love a winter craft. Here are some favorite ideas to try with toddlers, preschoolers, and big kids from process art to product!
- Tissue Paper Mittens – Days with Grey
- Snowflake Garland – Art Bar Blog
- Tape Resist Art – Toddler Approved
- Watercolor Snowmen – Days with Grey
- Sparkle Snowflakes – Toddler Approved
- Cut and Glue the Snowman – Days with Grey
- GIANT art banners – Friends Art Lab
- Winter Solstice Lanterns – Here Wee Learn
Indoor Winter Play Ideas
For starters, I have already created an enjoyable list of indoor activities here. But let’s take this one step further and pull out the great ideas that align with a winter theme.
- Ice Skating Bears – Days with Grey
- Winter Bear Rescue – Days with Grey
- Snow Pups Winter Sensory Play – Busy Toddler
- Squishy Snowman Bag – Mama Papa Buba
- Decorate the Mittens – Days with Grey
- Giant Snowman Buddy – Toddler Approved
- Design a Snowman House – Days with Grey
- Snow Paint – Busy Toddler
- Snow Trucks – Toddler Approved
- Feed the Snowman – Busy Toddler
- Snowman Name Hunt – Toddler Approved
A few more indoor ideas that don’t carry the winter theme, but are a great break from the snow!
Winter Book List
Snow play is a blast, but we will also carve out some time for some fantastic books. Again, we are in the southeast. If my children don’t experience the snow, we will read about it!
Days with Grey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
- Snowmen at Night
- Loud Winter’s Nap
- The Snowy Day
- Goodbye Autumn, Hello Winter
- The Mitten
- Little Owl’s Snow
- Sneezy the Snowman
- How to Catch a Yeti