Need an activity for today? Make these watercolor winter hats asap.
Watercolor winter hats are a big win that helped us survive several days being cooped up inside.
– Less mess with watercolors, more time for creative play – and hot coffee. BOOM. This winter activity is the bomb.
FULL CREDIT: I found this idea from the One Little Project, and the activity had me at hello.
Why are watercolor winter hats so awesome?
This fun indoor activity starts with a bit of mystery (the white crayon) and allows my child to continue creating after the hat design.
What do I mean? Let’s start with the setup.
RELATED: 40 FUN WINTER ACTIVITIES FOR KIDS
Take a close look at the hat!
See those white lines? After outlining each hat with a black marker, I added a simple design inside the cap using a white crayon. It’s magic!
Steps to set this up:
- Draw a few simple hats on your white paper.
- Use your white crayon to design your hat. – Don’t overthink this. Simple lines, dots, and curves work great!
- Invite your preschooler (or BIG KID!) to come paint over the hat to reveal its secret design.
QUICK TIP – You can level up this activity using cut-out hats on heavy cardstock with white oil pastel.
HOT WATERCOLOR PAINTING TIP!
You will forever change your watercolor life with this tip.
Use a dropper to squirt water to each section of your watercolor paints before getting started.
Genius right? I know. Once I saw this on Mother Could, I never looked back. Just as impressive as painting with glue-like we did on this mitten art activity.
RELATED: Have you painted a snowman? You must!
You need FOUR supplies!
Four supplies? Yep! I know it. That’s all it takes for an afternoon of fun.
And I bet you already have the broken white crayon and black marker somewhere in your junk drawer. (wink, wink!)
Days with Grey participates in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
- Melissa & Doug Deluxe Easel Paper Roll Replacement (18 inches x 75 feet) – 2-Pack, White” target=”_blank” rel=”noreferrer noopener”>white paper roll
- washable markers
- white crayon
- watercolor paints
RELATED: Cut and glue the snowman. Simple, creative fun.
What happened after the hats were painting?
You know it! Free choice paint.
Even better? Hand over the white crayon and have your child decorate their winter hats to paint again!