Kinetic sand for kids is a favorite sensory activity!
For starters, it’s a cinch to clean-up, not to mention satisfying to play with. There is just something about kinetic sand for kids that calls over my forty-year-old self to also join in the fun. – And I’m here for that.
Maybe it’s the texture? Or perhaps it’s the happiness of how it all molds together without sticking on hands? To say I am a huge fan is an understatement.
Since kinetic sand is on repeat here, I got to work searching for even more ways to play. Inside you will find 25+ genius ways to kids (and adults) can play with kinetic sand.
RELATED: Ready to start sensory play? Use these tips on how to introduce sensory play!
Kinetic sand is suggested for ages 3+
I introduce kinetic sand to my kids once I know they are less likely to put it in their mouths. I am always close, sitting along the sidelines as they play. Magazine and hot tea in hand are always a welcomed bonus.
Like water beads, I want to make sure my children understand the sensory play boundaries by keeping the majority of the play inside the bin. We get here with time and practice.
RELATED: We store kinetic sand in the accessory bin shown in our toy storage post.
Is kinetic sand better than Play-Doh?
Play-Doh and kinetic sand are very different, yet both have a playable texture that helps improve fine motor strength.
My boys play with Play-Doh and kinetic sand similarly, yet they often have an opinion they prefer for that given day. So if you ask them, they would tell you it is different.
Play-Doh comes in a variety of colors, or you can make your own. It is also smooth and will dry out.
Kinetic sand has a grainy texture and will not dry out as easily. You can also make your own kinetic sand at home. A recipe for DIY sand can be found here at Little Bins for Little Hands.
RELATED: If you are looking for ways to play with Play-Doh, you must check out these refreshing playdough ideas!
Our favorite kinetic sand
Days with Grey is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program. As an Amazon Associate, I earn from qualifying purchases. Read more about these links in my disclosure policy.
Kinetic sand for kids and 20+ ways to play!
Let’s get started! Each kinetic sand activity is listed at random. There are so many great ideas from fellow bloggers that I cannot wait to share with you all.
- Arctic Animals Sensory Play – 3 Dinosaurs
- Beach and Sand Sensory Play – Protecting your Pennies
- Big Kid Sensory Bin – Busy Toddler
- Chicka Chicka Boom Boom Sand Hunt – Toddler Approved
- Construction Alphabet Play – Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Construction Sensory Play – Teaching 2 and 3 Year Olds
- Cupcake Sensory Play – And Next Comes L
- Dinosaur Dig Out – Fireflies and Mudpies
- Dinosaur Sensory Play – Fireflies and Mudpies
- Easter Play – Toddler Approved
- Fossil Sensory Bin – ABC’s of Literacy
- Kinetic Sand Potato Heads – And Next Comes L
- Kinetic Sand Pretend Play Food – The Craft Train
- Kinetic Sand Race Track – In the Playroom
- Kinetic Sand Rainbow – And Next Comes L
- Kinetic Sand Stamping – Picklebums
- LEGO Fun – Toddler Approved
- Lego Stamping Kinetic Sand – And Next Comes L
- Moon Walking Sensory Play – 3 Dinosaurs
- Paw Patrol Rescue – Days with Grey
- Rainbow Bead Hunt – Toddler Approved
- Stamping Shapes – Still Playing School