Want more ways for your preschooler to play with Math?
To TRULY zone into key concepts by exploring, manipulating, and organizing ideas?
To quickly set-up, with endless amounts of variation?
HERE IT IS!
This preschool math game also makes a fantastic Breakfast Invitation!
Number Concepts begin as early as two years old but counting. Counting is the memorization of a sequence. What we want our preschoolers to understand is that a number NAME is linked to a number QUANTITY.
Here, we want our preschoolers to understand that the last object counted represents an entire set. You can count left to right, or mix them up. No matter what, the QUANTITY (amount) remains the same.
Make this number game to develop:
- number sense
By Kindergarten, children will be asked to classify objects into given categories; count the numbers of objects in each category and sort the categories by count.
This preschool math game does all this!
- Creating number blocks on your table. Here, I used painters tape.
- Find objects in your playroom (or on the floor in our case), to sort.
- Find one of one object, two of the same of another, three of the same for another object, etc.
- Place the objects in front of your preschooler and ask them to sort the objects by number amount
Try to stand back, and allow your preschooler to problem solve.
Ask thinking questions such as:
- WHich object do you see more than one of?
- How many squares do we see together?
- Is the pasta the same as the puzzle piece? If not, let’s sort them into different piles.
VOCABULARY TO INTRODUCE AT HOME:
- More than
- Bigger than
- Less than
- Same as
Put it away. Come back to it another time.